Thursday, March 10, 2011

What Is a Blog and Why Do I Have One?

I have no idea!!  So really, what is my goal here?  Or do I even need a goal?  Why did YOU come here today?

Mark tells me that the reason I need to keep blogging is to have this record of stories for our family.  So if that's the case, why am I sharing it with you?  Would I sit down and write these thoughts out if no one was going to read them, and it simply existed on a computer file to give my kids some day?  Hmmmmm, I'm kinda thinking no.   I guess I have a need for other people outside of my family to give me approval.  Or maybe I need the approval now, rather than 10 years from now when my girls are 20.

Do I get bummed out when I don't get the approval??  Sometimes.  I've come to realize that I think I'm funnier than other people think I am!  BIG bummer!  How embarrassing to write something that I'm crying over  because I think it's so funny, and then to get no response.  I've just started chalking that up to YOU not having a good sense of humor, because clearly it was funny!

So my blog...what is it, what isn't it?

1)  It's not Facebook.  I've been on a journey for almost a month to prove that I exist outside of Facebook.  You can't poke me here, tag me, attack me, like me, send me flair or cupcakes, delete me, invite me to an event or group, if you comment on a post, you won't get 3,000 other notifications when other people comment, you can't suggest friends for me, you can't have conversations that should NOT be public in my newsfeed (because there isn't a newsfeed), and you can't wish me Happy Birthday, but please do call or text on my birthday.

2)  I am not a writer.  I like to write, but I'm not a writer.  I don't know anything about purpose and structure and details, and I'm from Louisiana where Who Dat is a complete sentence.

3)  It's not a devotional.  Nope, don't come here for your Daily Bread.  Although I love love love Jesus, and since He lives in my heart, talking about Him is just the natural outflow of my heart sometimes.

4)  It's just a place that I talk.  You have to like me to come here, because all it offers is a place to listen to me talk.  And if you don't like me, it probably doesn't add anything to your day.

5)  If you do choose to read, would you let me know sometimes?  I'm not afraid of a little stalking, but you're coming here either because 1)  You like me...refer back to #4...or 2)  You don't like me, but you're really really bored, and it makes you feel even more miserable to read my blog,...if that's the case, I would like to block you.

6)  Oh, and it's not that pretty.  I've only been back at blogging for a month, and I haven't yet figured out how to make all those cute headings and sidebars.  I'm lucky to just get words on the screen.

Thank you people who like me

15 comments:

Mark S said...

Who Dat

Kerry said...

I like you, April!!! I love reading your words of wisdom and humor. You crack me up. I will read what you write, so keep it up.

Angel said...

First of all, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your writing and I think you are one of the funniest people I know. Secondly, I soooo relate to the why of blogging. I used to write in journal for the girls, but that was hard to capture everything AND I had to write some stuff twice (not to mention--what if there was a fire and I lost all of it--when it's on the internet, it never goes away).
I will continue to read whatever you write and probably laugh harder than you do when writing it!
We need to plan a day when the kids play and I'll show you how to do the little formatting I know (which isn't much and I don't really think you need it when your blog is as funny as yours is)

Barb said...

I like you and i'm a bit of a stalker, but the good news is, I usually (but not always) let you know when I've been here. I think you are hilarious. You and Angel both. I surround myself with funny friends b/c I have no humor myself. Just ask my husband. :)

Jill said...

#2....hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

I'm here...but I forget to come read it everyday...unlike facebook where everyone's "writings" are in my face. I get bummed when I forget to come read the blog...or go back and read comments. Hmmm. I think you should Bobbie Sue yourself back on to facebook.....maybe you could be Peggie Sue?

April said...

Aw, ya'll are so sweet!!!!!!! Hugs to all!!!
Jill, I know, it does take a teensy bit more effort to remember to read it. Whatever!!!! Put it in your favorites, I'm your favorite sister! Oh and I think after you comment, there's a place where you can "subscribe" to get emailed when someone else comments after you. I didn't know that when I wrote that part about not getting notifications like you do on facebook. But not as many as facebook, like when you say "congrats" when someone has a baby, and you get 300 notifications.

Jill said...

so you didn't like the Peggie Sue idea??

This is a test..I clicked the subscribe box!

April said...

OK I'll comment and see if you get it.
Not that I'm counting, he he he, but my blog has been viewed 42 times since 6pm yesterday, and only the 5 people who commented here are the ones who revealed themselves! Of course some of those hits are probably you and Angel clicking multiple times :)

Barb said...

Don't you love how she totally ignored your Peggy Sue idea TWICE? :)

April said...

Ha ha, it didn't even register, twice. Facebook's not even on my radar!

Jill said...

Oh goodie! Found a way to pull up your blog with my phone! All is well with my world now!!

Angel said...

Are you saying I have nothing better to do than to keep looking to see if you have new posts or comments?????

Kayla said...

April, did Jill tell you I thought you should give up giving up FB for lent? :)

LauraLee Shaw said...

Oh man, you are too funny. I think your purposes are GRAND, and we all need a peek into the life of April and fam. The ONLY thing I disagree with on here is that you ARE a writer. And you've already mastered something that takes most wannabe writers YEARS to grasp...your voice. Nobody cares if you write complete sentences from English class with all your grammar ducks in a row. People like a good storyteller, and that, dear April, you ARE. So there. Hope you don't mind if I disagree with you on that one lil ole point.

Love it!

April said...

Thank you Laura, you're so sweet and encouraging!!