Thursday, March 3, 2011

Mall Ramblings Part Two

Aw the mall, full of good material!  A couple of years ago, I did a post entitled "Mall Ramblings."  Consider this one "Mall Ramblings Part 2."

You know I hate to shop right?  I don't mind walking around the mall, I just hate choosing and buying things, especially with Brady in tow.  But some mornings, you wake up, and your kids have outgrown all of their clothes.  Of course that happens to us women too, right?? That's why all women know, you never get rid of those old jeans!!  You may have slimmed down 3 sizes, but save those jeans girl!  Because you're going to wake up after Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Girl Scout cookie season and need the extra space.  No shame in that...finish up those cookies and refocus.

So I headed out to Grapevine Mills mall today to pick up a few things for my daughters.  I feel a bit claustrophobic in the Frisco mall....just like everything in our fair suburb, too much stuff in such a small space.  The stores are too small, too many kids and strollers, too many stores I don't need.  And the 2-story thing...way confusing.  Grapevine Mills...one simple GIANT circle...one mile...just walk round and round, and eventually you'll get everything you need.  And I like the voice that comes on when you walk in...."You parked in section 238D".  Thanks!

So off we go, Brady and I....and just a few small observations from today:

1)  The steam iron kiosk is hiring.  Wow.  Watching steam come out of an iron...all...day....long.  And then in the rare situation that someone walks up and asks you to demonstrate the steam iron, well, then you have to iron!  Ugh!  That job makes the goofy guy who dresses up as the Statute of Liberty, and dances on the sidewalk in front of those tax offices, look appealing.

2)  Make a video...only ten dollar.  Hmmm, make a video.  In this kiosk, you go behind a curtain, do a little song and dance, they record you, only ten dollar.  It's like those recording stations they have at Six Flags, which was kinda fun when I was 15.  At this age, my video would look like a very bad American Idol audition.

3)  The nannys!  Grapevine Mills is where the nannys hang out.  Nothing funny to say about that, just an observation.  And I'm wondering how I can get one.  Oh of course I kid.

4)  Great splat trick dude.  Really appreciate that.  "The toy that goes SPLAT but always comes back."  My son was walking through the mall just fine, and then you had to throw that dang splat toy in his path.  You know how long it took me to get him walking again after that?? Yeah of course you do, because you were standing behind your kiosk cracking up!  You definitely have the better job than the steam iron guy though.

5)  Teenagers with newborn babies.  Children raising children.  Parenting is hard, and I just can't imagine doing it while I was still a child.

6)  Now here's a new one....Light Up Shirts!  I'd never walk around in a shirt that lights up...and I certainly wouldn't walk around in shirt that's blinking "Dallas Cowboys".  I'll talk this opportunity to say WHO DAT!!!!????

7)  Lady, you asked me twice to sign up for a chance to win a 2-night stay at Great Wolf Lodge.  I realize you had to ask me twice, because I was stuck on that giant circle and didn't know where to exit...238D, 238D...You couldn't pay me to stay at Great Wolf Lodge!  Your regular price of like $300 per night is crazy...but then during Spring Break, you jack your prices up to something like $600 per night, and advertise "Save money, have a staycation and come to the Great Wolf Lodge!"  Highway robbery.  At those prices, a vacation is cheaper than a staycation.

8)  Big bummer when I've already ordered my food from one place in the food court, and I look to the food place next to me, and what do you know?  Kids eat free today!  I considered ordering another meal, just to get the free kids meal.

9)  I love Texas just as much as the next guy.  But this mall has at least 10 stores of Texas souvenirs.  So if you ever need shot glasses with the Dallas skyline on them, playing cards with armadillos, a purse with the Texas flag, a  cutting board shaped like a cactus, salsa, or photos of Jerry Jones, you know where to go.

10)  And my last observation is that I didn't have a bar of soap shoved up my nose or my fingernails filed.  Thank you Grapevine Mills, for moving away from those old-school kiosks and on to new and better things...like steam irons.

3 comments:

Jill said...

4 and 6 were my favs!!!!!!!!!!!! that's funny....Ali was asking for suggestions on Brooke's vball team...and I said "the Who Dats??!!" I don't see anything wrong with it. Sounds good to me!!

And Buck wants to take the kids to great wolf lodge again for a night during spring break.....I'd rather go to the lake!

Angel said...

oh, girl! We are SUCH kindred spirits! LOVE these and agree with all of them (although I've never seen the SPLAT guy--that might be interesting...)

Barb said...

Steam iron? like standing at an ironing board and offering to demonstrate for you? What??