I hate to exercise. I can't find anything about it that I like. I look stupid. I don't like sweating. I don't like parts of my body extending beyond their normal range of motion. I don't know what to wear. I get mad when the instructors on the DVD say something funny while my heart is pounding outside of my body. What's to love people??
Nevertheless, just out of guilt, I decided to get up, not once, but TWICE this week to exercise. 5:15 am....RONK RONK RONK (don't really know how to type out an alarm sound, that's the best I can do.) Weight training yesterday, stupid stupid stupid Yoga today.
Some of the questions you may have:
Did I enjoy getting up at 5:15 am??
No. Only Jesus should be awake then.
Was simply getting out of bed the hardest part?
No, actually performing the moves was the hardest part.
Did the endorphins kick in making me scream "I live for this!"
No. The endorphins thing is a lie that workout freaks use.
Did I see results?
On my body? No.
Do I feel better now as a result of this morning's workout?
No. Hence the need to write this post.
Here's one exercisers like...."But now that it's over, aren't you SO glad you got up to exercise this morning?"
No! Honestly, I'd like to have that hour of sleep back!
Someday, will you be glad that you got up and exercised this morning?
OK, you got me on this one. Yes, someday, I'll be glad that I got up and exercised this morning. When I'm in my 60's, I will be thankful that I put in the time in my 30's to exercise.
Which brings me to the frustrating, but true, conclusion that anything worth doing takes time! Nothing gets instant results, other than a TV dinner you can pop in a microwave, but that hardly falls under the "worth doing" category. ARRGH!! One more time...ARRGH!! Say it with me....ARRGH!!!!!
Exercise, parenting, loving people, gardening, business, building projects, ministry,.....I'm learning that there are so many things that I need to remain faithful in doing even when I don't get immediate gratification. Sigh. There are several references in the Bible to running the race, finishing the race, running with perseverance....I'm not necessarily trying to make exercise a spiritual matter....I'm just finding the strength to continue to do things over and over again, whatever they are, just because I need to!
Exercise, ugh! I have to have balance with this just like everything else. I'll never be obsessed about it...I graduated to the swim-skirt after having kids and I'm totally OK with that. But do I want to be able to play with my grandkids someday? Yes, I do.
But will I get up again tomorrow morning to exercise?? Hmmm.....that might be pushing it a bit, don't you think? :)
Keep on persevering my friends!
Thursday, March 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Have I mentioned that every first mile of my run I feel like I'm going to die?!? I hate that first 10 minutes. But mercifully it's easier after that. Hang in there, as you said with everything the results are worth it. :-)
Love your perspective my friend!
Are you doing P90X again? Girl, that was so worth it the last time you did it. You look GREAT!
and now I'm the weird stalker friend b/c I'm commenting again b/c the last time I didn't get the option for the follow up email.
Yep on all of it. The time thing is why I have to take on a project every now and then that has a clear beginning and a clear end. Otherwise, I'd be crazier than I already am. I refuse to comment on the excercise thing on the grounds that it may incriminate me
april I laughed out loud. That was funny. But so true. I did Jillian a couple times this week, and went to the gym today. I would have rather been sitting on my front step doing nothing. Can't say sleep since I don't have to wake up at 515 to exercise...Praise God! I can exercise any hour of the day that the kids are in school. But I don't. I don't understand the peeps that spend their ENTIRE free time during the day at the gym. Ew. Gross.
Jen, I've heard runners say that. I wouldn't know, never made it that far!
Barb...to say I "did" p90x is a joke. I was pretty faithful for about 6 weeks, and thank you for your comment, but I have no idea where that motivation came from, I don't want to live that way again!
Angel, like a puzzle?? :)
Jill, me too. Why can't we just sit around doing nothing and drinking coffee??
Like right now....sitting on facebook drinking coffee.....I COULD be throwing in some ab or butt tightening while I'm sitting here.....but I'm not. =)
So did you get up this morning?
No :(
Where do you find weight training and yoga at 5:15 in the morning??????
I will confess - once a week I do a boot camp at 5:30 - I HATE IT WHEN I WAKE UP and I HATE IT ALL THE WAY THROUGH but I LOVE it when I come home at 6:45 and I am finished exercising for the day!
~Becca
The only way to like exercise is to change your frame of mind about it. If you spend your time and energy not liking, then you will not like it. Change your comments and thoughts about it to only positive ones and see what happens. :)
Post a Comment