Monday, February 21, 2011

The Stuff School Holidays are Made Of

I was just having a discussion with my kids about "minimum wage."  Why am I having a conversation with them about minimum wage in the middle of the afternoon on a Monday?  Because my kids are home from school today in observance of President's Day.  Now in my mind, since we've already been home from school 5 days in February for ice, today would have been a perfectly good day to go to school to make up one of those days.  Other districts did it.  Instead, as always, we lose our beloved Good Friday.  Nothing against the Presidents...but it's not like we're sitting around honoring them today.  Oh but the stores do!!  If we had shopped today, we could have saved $100 on a mattress, an extra 30% off at Kohls...some spectacular savings at Macy's (if shopping with a Macy's card)...good deals on electronics, office supplies, etc.  But Good Friday, that's a day when we actually honor someone....it's the day we celebrate Jesus...on this day we remember that He died on the cross for us, taking our sin and guilt with Him!  Ah, but the district will be in the classroom that day, and the biggest sacrifice EVER won't even me mentioned.

But WOW I've gotten off track!  See, this is what happens when I blog!  On Facebook, you're only allowed a few words per update, so my ADD or whatever is easier to hide.  Everyone on Facebook is ADD, throwing out comments and jokes and jabs and likes...when I start writing a blog entry, my mind just goes everywhere.  Don't think it matters anyway, b/c in judging from my comments and the number of times my blog has been viewed, it seems Angel Royal is the only one reading it.  And Angel is a grace giver friend, this post will make absolutely no sense, but she'll still open my blog again the next day.

OK, now what was the post about??  Oh yeah!  I was having a conversation with my girls about minimum wage.  The concept of making $7.25, PER HOUR, completely blew their minds!!  And I suggested one job that might be a minimum wage job, and they just couldn't believe how much money that person must have.  Right, if only, a person could be "living large" on minimum wage!

Anyway, home with the kids today, enjoying the random conversations that we always have (like minimum wage), thinking about the future, thinking about the past, thankful to be alive another day!

3 comments:

Angel said...

HA!!! Not one, but 2 posts today! I've never been referred to as a grace-giver, either. I need to show this to Brian. Of course, he's also the one that said we both should be committed, so it might not carry weight with him. You are actually inspiring me to blog more and facebook less. Love your posts--even if noone else reads them (which is only because they don't know that you are writing them again--otherwise you'd have a TON of followers), your girls will one day look back and laugh! Your ADD posts inspire me! Love them!

Barb said...

Hey, she's not the only one! If I can't fb stalk you anymore, I guess I'll have to do it here...

Kaylene said...

I left a huge long comment, but it didn't go through and then I read on and I didn't do it right. I will have to email, call you or something. Nice Blog though and thanks for being a blessing....