Friday, February 18, 2011

Daughters

Here are my beautiful daughters, about to head out to the dance with their prince (well, a tall bearded man, with a white suburban instead of a horse, minor details). They are beautiful and precious and innocent. And I want to protect that innocence with every thread of my being! 


Oh but I haven't! They don't watch alot of TV or listen to much pop music or read the current magazines. But somehow, they're already SO aware of their bodies...they see that God made each of them  differently.  One of them stands in front of the mirror and pats her belly. The other says "give me another piece of cake, I'm scrawny!"


And who's to blame for that? ME! Yes, I do the same thing. I stand there and squeeze the love handles on my sides....when I sit down in a chair, I point how how some of me oozes over the edges of the chair...and then there's one spot in my kitchen, where the sun shines in, if you stand there, the sun illuminates every dimple in my legs...quite fascinating! I gather the whole family around to see that! 


Hard to encourage a healthy body image in your girls when you're still struggling with it yourself!


It is definitely my job to provide healthy meals for my family and to encourage physical activity. But my bigger job is to assure them that their worth is not based on their outward beauty. 


I enjoyed reading Psalm 139:13-16 from The Message this week:

 13-16 Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out; 
      you formed me in my mother's womb. 
   I thank you, High God—you're breathtaking! 
      Body and soul, I am marvelously made! 
      I worship in adoration—what a creation! 
   You know me inside and out, 
      you know every bone in my body; 
   You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit, 
      how I was sculpted from nothing into something. 
   Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth; 
      all the stages of my life were spread out before you, 
   The days of my life all prepared 
      before I'd even lived one day. 


Red and yellow black and white, we are precious in his sight!

1 comment:

Angel said...

Okay, I'm gonna have to comment on every post you write because I can SOOO relate! Have the same things happening at my house.

Oh, and how do you get Mark to read your blog AND comment? I couldwrite all kinds of things about Brian and he would never know unless Barb tells him--she';s the only one who faithfully reads mine).