Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Supporting Our Troops



We went out to DFW airport Saturday morning to greet Army troops who were returning to the US for their 2 weeks of R&R. I'd say about 200 people got off of that plane, men & women, some who were so very young, and some much older, most of them just passing through Dallas to catch a flight to their home. One kid had a "Welcome Home Mommy" sign, but since most of them don't live here in Dallas, their families will greet them somewhere else. These troops come in everyday, and there are volunteers at the airport to greet them everyday. It certainly wasn't enough, to stand there and wave flags and say thanks, but I do hope they know there are a bunch of us who appreciate their service. Mark lent a few of them his cellphone so they could make a quick call to whoever it was that was waiting on them, a spouse, parent, child, whoever. I'm so glad I'm not the one on the other end of that call, waiting with anticipation for my loved one to come home, and then have to send them back overseas in 2 weeks. I'm glad I got to see their faces, helps me to pray even harder, for their safety, for their families, and for peace in this crazy world.

2 comments:

Heidi McKee said...

WOW, thanks for the inspiration. You are a model citizen :) and a great example of Christ's love! Thanks for spuring me on !

Jill said...

Thanks for going. That is so cool. If Mason hadn't been sick we would have been there with ya'll!! How Awesome!