Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Humble Perspective on Job 38-42

Sometimes my relationship with God lacks passion and the lovey-dovey feeling that you have when you really love something. Honestly, sometimes my relationship with my husband and kids lacks it too. Sometimes love is just the "commitment" you have made. I don't always "feel" passion towards my husband, or drool over my kids, but I have committed my life to them, and I love being in that committed relationship with them. Isn't it fortunate that we all don't hit the road when we don't "feel" the love?

With God, sometimes the "feeling" is not there. But I gave Him my heart many years ago, and so I pray, and I read the Bible, and I am faithful to Him, and He has been oh so faithful to me. But oh, sometimes there are times when I read of the greatness of God, and I am in awe, and I am filled with passion and love for Him.

Take a look at the last few chapters of Job. (Job is a book in the Bible, Old Testament, not assuming everyone knows this, but that's where you can find it if you want to read it). Very brief summary of Job..He has lost everything and suffering greatly, and he doesn't know why. He and his friends have been sitting around trying to figure it out. His friends are like "curse God!", Job's like "no", and while he doesn't curse God, he sure would like to know what brought on the pain...wouldn't you? So finally, in Job 38 (after God had been silent for the previous 37 chapters), God speaks.

And oh friends, when God speaks here, it's just greatness. God starts going through the details of some of His creation, which could only be known by the Creator. You'll have to look it up yourself, I'll just pull out a bit for you.

"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand. Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring line across it?

"Who shut up the sea behind doors when it burst forth from the womb...

"What is the way to the place where the lightning is dispersed, or the place where the east winds are scattered over the earth?

"Do you give the horse his strength or clothe his neck with a flowing mane?

"Does the hawk take flight by your wisdom and spread his wings toward the south?"

And it goes on and on.

And so in Chapter 42, Job answers "I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted...Surely I spoke of things I did not understand (me, too Job)." And I like this part, "My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you."

Wow, this humbles me. Not in a "I'm a loser" kind of way, no not at all! It just reminds me of the majesty and power and greatness of God! And the cool part is that this same God who IS so majestic, also loves me and wants to know ME personally. And so rather than having that passion-less relationship with God, we too can say "now my eyes have seen you."

No comments: