LOL
CU L8R
L2G
BYOB
How about I AM ADD???
I'm trying to figure out why I can't write anymore.
I'm sure you've heard the research regarding "texting", and how it's causing people (especially kids) to lose their ability to communicate face-to-face. I read an article where Jody Capehart was quoted as saying "We're creating almost an ADD like culture. We're creating a short-attention-span society because everything is coming to us continually and in these short sound bites, so we're only paying attention to things in 10-second intervals, plus we're multi-tasking. The situation is creating some weird developmental issues in the brain. We're losing the ability for long-term concentration and I predict the longitudinal studies on this are not going to be good."
I agree, but texting is not my problem.
In my former life, I kept up with a blog. It was mostly for personal use, a place where I could record stories and pictures of our family. I would print them out from time to time, thinking maybe one day my kids would like to read them. Before my grandmother, who lived in Louisiana, died, her sister had come across my blog, and she printed the whole thing out for my grandmother...pages and pages of stories about my kids and our lives here in Texas. My grandmother told me that she was so blessed to be able to read through those.
But now, the thought of sitting down and thinking in complete sentences just blows my mind! Part of it is having a baby at home, and my day is divided into short increments.
But I'm going to admit the real reason that I don't blog....here it is...somewhere along the way I discovered Facebook. I discovered that I could shoot out "status updates", they're limited to 30 words or so, and that they made people laugh! That's right, people were laughing, I could get instant gratification, and I could do this multiple times a day...no time, no deep-thinking involved. I now THINK in status updates. And I've come to need the instant feedback. Sometimes I even make them up! (not really, the only one I made up was rat story).
I like Facebook. It's cool to reconnect with people from the past. I even discovered that a friend from college lived just a few streets over, and we met for yogurt yesterday. How cool is that?? But I'm having to re-train my brain to think in long sentences.
And I'm going to do it. You know why? Because it's important to Mark. It's important to my family. I've failed them already because I don't scrapbook, so the least I can do is record their stories. :)
Wow, that was at least 4 paragraphs...I am spent! I'm going to go check Facebook now.....
Friday, September 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I haven't even gone out to our blogs in the longest time. I can't even remember what the last thing I posted was. Facebook became easier. It reached more people.
Thank you...
Ok--my comment on your fb post was supposed to go to this entry (although I do relate to the laundry quandry, as well).
Post a Comment