Thursday, January 8, 2009

Where's My Card??

If you attend the same church as I do, and have kids in the elementary programming, you're familiar with the curriculum. If you don't, let me tell you how it works. Each month, the kids focus on a virtue for the entire month. They learn verses and Bible stories to support the virtue, it might be a virtue such as respect, generosity, or determination. The virtue has a definition, and then each week, we discuss a different Bottom Line.

The virtue for January is "resourcefulness". Resourcefulness is "using what you have to get the job done". The Bottom Line for Week 1 is "Work like you're working for God," which of course is supported by Colossians 3:23 which says "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."

So this month, they added another feature to the curriculum. We got an "ISpy" card, and when I caught one of my kids showing resourcefulness, I should give them the card, and then they give it to someone else they see showing resourcefulness.

So on Monday, Taylor was working on her homework, focusing, showing a good attitude, etc, so I gave her the card. Later on that evening, she noticed Mark working hard on jobs around the house, so she gave Dad the card.

So now...let's focus on me for a second. On Monday night, I made a pot of chicken tortilla soup. I had to buy the chicken, and some chips, but I had everything else I needed. We ate on the soup for 3 nights. Yes that's right, for about $5, our family of 4 ate for 3 nights! If that's not resourcefulness, I don't know what is.

So on Wednesday night, the card is still sitting where Mark left it, he obviously hasn't seen anyone else in the house showing resourcefulness since he demonstrated it on Monday night. And the girls had reminded him a few times. Thursday morning, the girls remind him again that he needs to pass on the card. Of course this conversation is going on while I'm lovingly making the kids' breakfasts, fixing lunches, etc, but ALL FOR THE LORD, DEFINITELY NOT FOR MEN OR SOME SILLY CARD! Now normally I don't like to draw attention to myself for working so hard for my family, but since this week's game is to notice when people are working as they should, I can't help but wonder why I'm not getting the card!

So Mark says to me "Would you just take the card and give it out, b/c you're here during the day to see who's being resourceful, and I'm not". And I say, kinda defensively, "No! You've got the card, play right and give the card to someone else!" He looks at me with the "OK whatever" look.

So after Mark and Taylor left, I'm driving Annika to Mother's Day Out, and she says "Mom, he gave Taylor the card." I say "What?? What did SHE do?" She says "I don't know, I didn't notice anything, but he gave it to her anyway."

So I'm thinking about this today, wondering why on earth my family doesn't notice my work? And I'm reflecting on the verse, which clearly says our work is for the Lord, not for people, but I just can't get over the fact that no one thought me worthy of the card.

So tonight we're sitting at the table for dinner. We were pulling together leftovers and such tonight. Mark makes himself some kind of fancy sandwich (using the soup that I spent $5 on and we ate on ALL week) and showing the girls how resourceful he was to make such a neat dinner. And Taylor says "Oh mom, dad gave me the card AGAIN this morning." I'm like "Oh really? What did you do?" She says "I was tying my shoes this morning and not grumbling like I usually do". Wow, the kid gets the card for tying her shoes?? So I look over at Annika and I say "Well Annika, it seems like you and I need to work a little harder around here so that we can earn the card." Taylor stops me and says "MOM....you don't work hard JUST to get the card! You do it for God!" The nerve of her, trying to put me in my place like that...

Well, I should be off to bed. You know that "noble" wife they speak of in Proverbs 31? Well that's SO me. Especially the part about getting up while it's still dark and providing food for her family, and she makes her family's clothes, I do all of that. With all my heart, as working for the Lord, not for men. Not for the card.

1 comment:

keri said...

Ok, first I have to stop laughing. That was hilarious. Good to know others feel the same way I do. You'll have to get creative to get that card!