Tuesday, November 25, 2008

There Is Joy in the Morning

Sometimes I just don't feel the same excitement that my kids do, especially before the sun comes up.

The girls were awake at 6 today (on a school holiday), Mark left at 6:30, I'm still lounging in the bed at 7 (school holiday), when Taylor burst into my room, obviously VERY excited about something. I can't wait to hear what it is, thinking surely she's been in her room this whole time having some heart-to-heart time with God and has come to tell me about it.

She's holding a yellow marker, and she says, "Mom, this is a bright yellow marker!!!!!! You can use it as a highlighter if you want to!"

And I waited for more, and that was it. She simply had a bright yellow marker. And in the spirit of gratitude that I naturally and joyfully live in (ha), I took a moment to thank God that my kids can see in color. Seriously. As I've been driving around town the past few days and noticing the changing of the leaves (although the trees are few and far between here in Frisco), I've thought, "wouldn't it stink to not see that beauty."

And then she said, "And Morgan likes for me to smell her armpits in the lunchroom."

So I'm thanking God for her sense of smell too.

So at this point, I drug myself to the kitchen, where my dear husband had the water and coffee grinds already in the pot, and all I had to do was turn it on.

Life is good.

2 comments:

Jill said...

The armpit thing is gross, but it made me laugh! It actually sounds like something Annika would make someone do.

Heidi McKee said...

Omy goodness! I loved that blog! AND I am smiling and giggling. Keep 'em coming :)