Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sometimes You Wanna Go...

Mark and I walked into a bar last night. Well, not just ANY bar, we don't make a habit of bar hopping. This is the place "where everybody knows your name." This is the place where Mark and I met. We went down to Addison last night (a town that is way too cool and hip for us now) to meet some friends for a kid-free dinner at The Melting Pot. As we were leaving Addison and passing the bar Mark said "wanna stop by?" I'm like "no, it's been many many years, we won't know anybody in there.". Nevertheless, the car veered off the road, and we walked in the backdoor like we'd done a million times before. And oh my gosh, some of the same people were still standing around the bar!!! They "knew our names and were glad we came!" Mark used to work there, and I remember being surprised at how "family" all those guys were to each other. So anyway, we stayed in there for about 15 minutes, one of the bartenders that I chatted with said that he and his wife have been going to our church, their neighbors had invited them, neato. It's a welcoming place, and it was fun to stop by. I find that sometimes our churches aren't as welcoming as the bar is. Hmmm....

5 comments:

SunJane said...

Girl, you can say that again!
Glad ya'll got to see old friends, and were welcomed back.

velvet said...

Are you surprised? People can be so real in a bar and not so much in church. Most the time I would rather be in a bar than church (kidding ... kinda)! Sounds like a cool time.

Jill said...

That is so neat! I haven't been down there in years! I don't think I had ever been in the bar, just Starbucks.

It's because at church you feel like you've got to put on your "I'm a perfect Christian and my life is perfect, and I don't do anything wrong" face (even though I don't feel that way at Bent Tree), and at a bar you don't have to pretend and you're not being judged for everything you're doing wrong.

Disclosure: I do not frequent bars, nor can I remember the last time I was in a bar. End of disclosure.

Mark S said...

Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name,
and they're always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see,
our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows
Your name.

keri said...

Unfortunately you nailed it... It saddens me that people think they can't be themselves in church. Whether they realize it or not.