Friday, August 12, 2011

Super Cool Sighting in Fort Worth

Something super cool happened to us today in Fort Worth, I have to share!

When the circus tickets first went on sale months ago, we decided we would buy in Fort Worth instead of Dallas, because we've never hung out in Fort Worth.  And plus, it's a much smaller venue, so even the cheap "balcony" seats are awesome because it's half the size of the Dallas venue.

So when Mark got home from work yesterday, we hopped in the car, and I asked him to swing around to the mailbox so I could get the mail. The new "Texas Highways" magazine was in there....my grandmother gives us this magazine...she lives in Louisiana but was born in Texas, so she LOVES Texas and wants to make sure we see as much as we can...even it's just in magazine pictures.

Well I flipped to page 72, because there was an article by Chet Garner, host of the The Daytripper travel show on PBS.  He had written an article about his day trip to Fort Worth, and since we were headed to Fort Worth that very second, I thought we would take him up on some of his suggestions of fun things to do.

For dinner last night, by Chet's suggestion, we headed to Joe T. Garcia's Mexican Restaurant, and oh my heavens, I had to roll out of that place. Fajitas. To die for. Never had better.

We hung around the stockyards this morning, and then for lunch, by Chet's suggestion, we headed to the Love Shack for a burger. Ya'll, a burger is just a burger to me. Until now, they've all tasted basically the same. But oh this is not your daddy's burger!!  This burger was soooo good, I just can't stop thinking about it.

So we're sitting up on the roof patio of this restaurant, listening to the live music, reflecting on the burger, talking about how the blend of beef and sirloin (or something) is just so perfect....and we're talking about how awesome it was that the magazine had arrived at just the perfect time, and we couldn't wait to call my grandmother and tell her how handy her magazine had come in.

So THEN...I look down to the street...and a small camera crew is video-taping this guy walking into the store, they shoot that a couple of times, then move into the store, shoot a bit more here and there. And Mark and I are looking at each other and saying "OMG, is that the daytripper???"

So we go downstairs to find out what's happening, and sure enough, it's CHET GARNER, the daytripper!!!!!! He's there filming for the episode that will appear on TV. So we're falling all over this guy, telling him that we're there eating simply because of his review in the magazine, and that the food is so great, and on and on! And then of course I had to admit that I'd never seen his show, but now I'm his #1 fan!

So, that's the story! It was just one of those moments where you think "I can't believe that just happened!" Super cool way to end our mini trip to Fort Worth, Texas! And go get yourself some Love Shack burgers! Yee Haw!!




6 comments:

Kerry said...

That's really cool, April. I have never been to downtown Fort Worth...I think I need to go and eat at all those places. Yummy!

Barb said...

I haven't been to Ft Worth since college... and then it was just to go dancing at Billy Bob's. :) Sounds like fun!!

April said...

And I've never been to Billy Bob's, but I'm a big country music fan!

Kayla said...

Very awesome! Love the pic with the kids! It was all meant to be!

You'll have to go back to Ft. Worth in January for the Stock Show and Rodeo.

Joe T. Garcia's has been a Ft. Worth institution for many years! Funny, I just ate there for the first time in June... I've lived in Dallas 36 years! and all I can say is shame on me for waiting soooo long! :)

I can't wait to go to Love Shack for a burger! I read about that place in D magazine, or Texas Monthly... I didn't realize there was one in Denton. I've been on the prowl for the perfect burger since I was pregnant with Monkey and ate every "best burger" from Little Elm to Downtown! i certainly know what is NOT the best burger...

I'm glad y'all had fun in cowtown!

Mark S said...

Very cool indeed.

Jill said...

How cool is that????????? Who dat!!! It gave me chills just how cool it is!!! Ah! I love cool stories!!