Tuesday, May 29, 2012

All I Really Need to Know I Learned While Camping


So we went camping this weekend.....TWO nights, in a tent, no shower, no flushing toilets. Now I didn't grow up camping...we stayed in a Motel 6 once, and I went to church "camp" many times, but sleeping out in the open without a roof is new to me. But I'm willing to try almost anything if someone else tells me that it's fun, so I willingly went on this trip, because I loved the two other families going and their kids.  As it turns out, this was probably one of our best weekends as a family so far, and I'm going to officially announce that the Solomons are now a "camping family" and available to join you on your camping trips during the months of October through May.  Sign-up sheet attached.

So here's my top 10 lessons:

1.  If the company is good, you can do pretty much anything.
2.  Porta potties don't kill you (not yet...any diseases we picked up there haven't shown up yet)
3.  Kids are happier playing under a tree and in a lake than with electronic devices.
4.  In America, sometimes our "camping" conditions are better than many humans' permanent  living  conditions.  Because while we did have to walk a hundred (or two hundred, I'm a bad judge of distance) feet to get running water...it was CLEAN and SAFE...not everyone has that option.
5.  Don't judge or act rudely towards anyone at a camp site...that same stranger may be the one who risks their own life jumping into the lake to save you.
6.  Windy camping conditions are annoying, but keep the bugs away, praise.
7.  Keep one eye on the loud and drunk teenagers at the site...they belong to someone...there's a good chance that will be my kids out there one day, and I hope the adults around have the courage to say "watch your mouth, eat something, give me your keys."
8.   A good husband still tells you you're beautiful after not showering or seeing a mirror for 3 days.
9.   Food tastes better when cooked over a fire, and I dare to say even the coffee.
10. You haven't experienced sunsets or sunrises until you've seen them over a body of water.  Thankful that God still graces us with this beautiful display day after day.

5 comments:

Angel said...

YAY!!!! So glad you blogged again! I agree with you on all but the port-potty one...love me some comfort stations.

Mark S said...

Great blog. It was a great time.

Barb said...

Aw, man. You are going to make me want to go camping now. Oh wait. Nope, it past. Whew!! :)

Regina said...

LOVE IT!!!! You were an awesome camping buddy!! So glad I was there to see you enjoy every last bit! Get ready for our next adventure!!!!!!!

Jill said...

Like!!!!!!!