Tuesday, April 5, 2011

What Recession?

My husband doesn't think INside the box.  He never has.  We've been married almost 11 years, and I never can really tell you what he does for a living.  He's an entrepreneur, I know that...always thinking of new business ideas.  I realized a couple of years into our marriage that he's never going to work a "real" 8-5, clock-in and clock-out kind of job.  So now I just go along with it...we've never gone without a meal, and maybe one day we'll "turn the corner"  (inside joke between Mark and I and his business partner and wife.)  I love this about him.

So wouldn't you know it, he's roped the kids into his way of thinking, and so now at only 2, 7, and 8 years old, my kids are business owners too!  They came up with the idea to pull up some of the monkey grass (liriope) out of our yard and sell it door-to-door.  They made spreadsheets and lists and signs...they priced the competitor's monkey grass....then they dug it up, tied it in bundles, put it in a wagon, and hit the streets.

Normally, my husband can sell anything.  He's the guy who at our garage sale last year was determined to sell every last item, and he had one poor lady believing she would regret it for the rest of her life if she didn't buy that fry-daddy that we got for a wedding gift 11 years ago!  Personally, I wouldn't knock on a stranger's door if my life depended on it, but "if you can knock on someone's door, you will survive" he says.  He sold books door-to-door in North Carolina one summer...he showed up in a strange state and he and his team were responsible for finding someone to house them for a summer!  They did.

So off they go, my peeps and their grass.  I liked the signs.  A couple of other options that we threw out were "What Recession?", "Please Help, My Mom is Crazy," "We Won't Go Broke Under this Administration," and from Dave Ramsey "My Parents are Selling So Much Stuff That We Think We're Next!"  Finally decided on "Monkey Grass."

So they hit the streets, and an hour later I hear their little wagon rolling back home.  I run out there to meet them, and as it turns out, they only sold 2 bundles.  My sweet neighbor bought a bundle....she's so good to my kids and would buy burnt toast if they asked her to.  And another guy on our block bought a bundle, and he even gave them a tip.

Fortunately, they thought they were working on commission only, but Mark had added a salary into the deal.  So after covering their expenses and giving their agent his cut, they ended up with more than they started with, and they were excited about that!  It was a great experience for them... Mark and his apprentices with an idea and a plan!









By the way, if you need to add any monkey grass to your landscaping, let us know!  This is actually one thing you can't kill, and borders your flowerbeds very nicely :)  They  might even plant it for you.

7 comments:

Jill said...

I meant to ask ya'll if you had any left....I thought they'd sell more! I'll buy some...we always need more monkey grass!

Ironic though, I just had to get rude with the pushy weird guy at my door just now selling cleaning products maybe? I was so annoyed...he was standing at my door, I very politely told him no thank you, and had to keep saying it, then had to shut the door in his face.

April said...

They weren't pushy salesmen! Just said "thank you" and walked away. Mark also taught them to knock and then back about 10 feet from the door to wait.

Barb said...

haha! Love it!

Jill, you need my "no solicitors unless you are a neighborhood child" sign. Works fabulously!!

Barb said...

and the token comment so I can now have the email follow up option...

Jill said...

Oh I didn't mean your sweet kids were pushy....it just so happened as you were typing this door to door thing, a pushy salesman was at my door. It was weird really.....I never heard a knock or the doorbell ring, I Just happened to look outside and there was someone standing there...it was kinda creepy.

Mark S said...

I love your blogs. Thank you. I am cracking up
It was a great experience. Already have them thinking of the next venture.

Jill said...

Salesman #2 just came to the door.....explained the first guy was his new guy, and tried to get me to buy the cleaning products since my neighbors bought some. The names he said, I've never heard, and he said they were just two doors down. Does he not realize there are only 4 houses on my road, and I know all of their names? Just thought it was funny, has nothing to do with your blog, sorry. Ha!